Certificate in Cookery, Foundation
Learn the foundation cookery skills to begin your culinary career and give you confidence in a professional kitchen. Have fun learning these fundamental techniques and go on to work experience placement for two weeks.
This programme forms the first semester of the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Advanced Level 4. Students can enrol for this programme or for the Level 4 course of 36 weeks.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This programme takes you through the fundamental cookery techniques to build your basic knowledge and set of cookery skills. This highly practical course introduces you to cooking in the French tradition. It is suitable even if you have no prior experience at cooking.
You will start with vegetable and knife skills and progress to soups, stocks and classic sauces, meat, fish, eggs as well as essential baking skills that form the basis of café kitchen fare; muffins, cakes, pastry, tarts, pies and quiche.
You will learn about food safety in a commercial kitchen and complete units standards based certification.
RECIPES YOU’LL MAKE INCLUDE:
- Quiche Lorraine with ham and gruyere cheese
- Gazpacho with garlic croutons
- Cream of tomato soup
- Eggs Benedict with crispy bacon on toasted bagels
- Pan-seared snapper with roast red pepper salsa
- Braised onion tart with mesclun salad
- Pecan pies with sweet shortcrust pastry
- Paella with clams, squid and mussels
- Seared Beef sirloin with parsley butter
- Choux pastry profiteroles with chocolate ganache
- Lemon and sour cream cake with lemon syrup
- Steamed mussels in white wine
- Pan-seared gurnard meuniere, brown butter
During the programme, you will have two weeks work placement to enable you to gain hand-on experience in some of Auckland’s premier cafés and restaurants. During this time you will gain real-life insights into working as a junior chef in a restaurant and café. Many students are offered part time work at these businesses following their work experience module.
PATHWAYS TO FURTHER STUDY - COOKERY LEVEL 4 (Advanced)
Many graduates return to further extend their culinary skills and complete the NZ Certificate in Cookery (Advanced) Level 4. In 2018, NZSFW plans to offer the Diploma in Cookery Level 5 which will follow on from the Certificate (Advanced) Level 4 as a full year programme.
For students who wish to extend their skills to learn about the Front of House, customer service and Café and Restaurant Management, they can attend the NZ Certificate in Food & Beverage Level 4, a highly practical 18 week programme that focuses on Barista, Bartending and NZ Wine or go on to study the Diploma in Hospitality Management* which includes NZ Certificate in Hospitality and Event Management Level 5 over 38 weeks.
Graduates will be able to work as junior chefs in cafés, restaurants, catering, bars, clubs resorts and hotels. NZSFW graduates, because of the highly practical nature of this course, are attractive prospective employees.
GRADUATION PLACEMENT SERVICE
The New Zealand School of Food and Wine works closely with leading hospitality employers particularly in the Auckland sector of cafés, restaurants, hotels and caterers. All graduates have access to the NZSFW Graduate Placement Service. During the course students will meet privately with NZSFW to discuss career options and their personal goals following the completion of the programme. NZSFW works closely to facilitate job placement upon graduation as well as industry placements during your studies.
Click here for more information on the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Advanced Level 4.
- Aged 17 or over; international students must be aged 18 or over
- Attend an interview in person or by telephone
- Upper intermediate level of English: IELTS 5.5 or equivalent for international students*
- Valid student visa for international students
* English language pathways available.
What Qualifications will I Gain?
- NZSFW Certificate in Cookery Level 3
- Food Safety Unit Standards
PROGRAMME START DATES