International Enrolment Procedure

For courses of 3 months or more. An international student is not a New Zealand or Australian citizen or permanent resident.


Please complete this Enrolment Form for programmes that are 12 weeks or more in length. If you are applying for a short course, for example 2 weeks, please go to Short Course enrolments. Please prepare and include the following documents with your enrolment form:

  • Copy of your passport personal details page
  • Verified copy of your English language level
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Passport size photograph
  • Any other supporting documents that may help your application

Email your enrolment form with your supporting documents to or post it to:

  • The New Zealand School of Food & Wine
    PO Box 106750
    Auckland City
    Auckland 1143
    New Zealand


Students enrolling Certificate in Professional Wine Knowledge need to have an IELTS (general English) score of 6.0 or equivalent. All other NZQA courses require IELTS 5.5.

You will be required to submit proof of your English competence as part of your New Zealand visa application. 

Although IELTS is our preferred assessment method there are other recognised programmes such as TOEFL, University of Cambridge and NZCEL.


You (or your agent) will be contacted by NZSFW to discuss your application and schedule a telephone or Skype interview. The registration fee is $200. Once this fee is paid and interview completed, you will be notified of your acceptance to the programme. You will receive an invoice for your course fees which must be paid in order to apply for a visa.


Please read these enrolment Terms & Conditions very carefully before signing your enrolment form. There is some very important information here for you that describe fee payments, fee protection policies, refund of fees, conduct and complaints procedures.


In some cases there will be additional course fees that relate to the special requirements of your programme. Please refer to specific programme information for these costs. Examples include chef uniforms, knives, wine glass set, and WSET® examination fees. These will be included on your invoice or purchased during the first week of class.


In order for you to apply for a student visa you must pay your fees in advance and supply evidence of this payment with your application. NZSFW will provide a receipt for these purposes.

Programme fees must be paid in full to the NZSFW Trust Account. Please send by telegraphic transfer or bank draft to the NZSFW Trust Account, Public Trust Wellington New Zealand, Bank of New Zealand, North End Branch, Account No. 02 0536 0305865 01, Swift Code BKNZNZ22.


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand during your studies. These are available from the New Zealand Immigration's website


A student visa is required for courses over 12 weeks duration and is subject to conditions and any breaches must be reported to Immigration New Zealand.

We recommend you visit the Immigration New Zealand website for full visa information.

Visa conditions include, but are not limited to:

  • Having sufficient funds for living while in New Zealand - approximately $NZ1250 - $NZ1500 per month.
  • Attending the programme at all times unless there are genuine reasons for any absences, and making satisfactory academic progress
  • Studying at the place of study specified on the student visa
  • Having acceptable insurance for the duration of the student visa
  • Working no more than the hours specified on the student visa

You will receive a faster service if you apply for your New Zealand visa online. For more information please visit


All international students including those on work permits and working holiday visas need to have appropriate insurance while studying in New Zealand.

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand, so may be liable for the full costs of any treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health – go to

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but international students may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. For more information, go to

You can purchase your insurance through us or independently. We will require a copy of your insurance policy details in English when you start studying.

Here are two examples of providers:

Code of practice for pastoral care of international students

The New Zealand School of Food and Wine abides by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (2016) which sets out minimum standards of advice and care that you can expect and provides a procedure that you can follow if you have concerns about the treatment you receive from us or an NZSFW registered agent. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority [NZQA] administers the Code. An abridged version of the Code of Practice is available here.

Click here to view the regulations to support international students while studying in New Zealand.

About New Zealand 

Before you arrive you'll want to learn as much as you can about New Zealand. For information about New Zealand, visit the official Tourism New Zealand website.

View information about studying in New Zealand from the New Zealand Government.

View the International Student page from Auckland City Council.

Finding Accommodation

Tips on finding a placed to live - View this website prepared by the New Zealand Government on Flatting 101.

NZSFW can provide details on local student accommodation.

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information, see our FAQ section. . Please advise us when discussing your enrolment if you require this assistance.